Sunday, November 20, 2011

NYC....And I'm In Love....Day One


This has taken me awhile to write about just because of time! Where does it all go? Anyways, October was my big trip to the Big Apple. I was slowly getting excited for the trip and about a week before it really hit me. Or maybe it was my shopping trip for the trip itself. Anyhow the time arrived and I couldn't wait! I wasn't sure if I was more excited for the trip itself or the freedom! I love my munchkins more than anything but how nice was it to go to the bathroom without anyone bothering me or to go grab a cup of coffee without getting cake pops and milk.

The flight there didn't seem bad at all but it was a long day. We left early in the morning and arrived in the evening there. It was beautiful flying in because we got to see some of the foliage in New Jersey. Once we got there and finally got our shuttle we ended up arriving at our hotel around 8 or so. We ordered room service and called it a night. We knew the next day was going to be early and long.

The next morning we were up and at it bright and early. We headed downtown to go see the 9/11 memorial. It's located in the financial district so we decided to take the subway, which would be quicker than cab or bus at that time since it was rush hour. I felt like a New Yorker already. The subway was very easy to use and not as "scary" as one would think. Honestly I don't see why there aren't more of them around! We got down there in no time and found a Starbucks and got a little breakfast.

We then headed to the memorial. It's amazing to see how big the area is where the Trade Towers stood. It was definitely cool to see but a sobering moment just to take it all in and reflect. They have done a great job in creating this beautiful memorial and there is still a lot of work going on for it. It's free to see so if you are ever there go see it!
We were there for probably two hours if that. I saw someone placing flowers and shedding some tears for a loved one and it tore at your heart. Such a emotional place.

After we left there we walked to the Stock Exchange to check it out. Now looking at maps places look close. New York blocks are like Vegas blocks and if you don't know what I mean by that well let's put it this way when someone tells you two blocks in reality it's like twenty! Anyhow, we got to the exchange and checked it out very cool but was disappointed because all the damn protesters everything was blocked off so we couldn't go in or get really close to check out. Bummer! We then went into Tiffany's and did a little browsing....ahhhhhh.....

Around noon we meandered back to the subway got ourselves back and relaxed before heading out for our boat trip. It was a three hour tour....and it was only three hours all around Manhattan. I really enjoyed it and the weather was perfect. I had no interest at going to Ellis Island so this was perfect....we went by it I got pictures and done. Same with the Statue of Liberty. I don't know why I didn't but I saw her got my pictures and we were on our way. That was another moment where I got goosebumps seeing her. Very cool especially for everything she stands for. I enjoyed the tour and learning about all different things around the city, buildings, and people.

When the tour was over if I remember correctly we just headed back to the hotel. I can't recall what we did for dinner that evening. I think we may have grabbed appetizers and drinks in the bar and called it a night!

After this long day we were exhausted! Since the next day we didn't have anything planned we decided to wake up whenever that may be and decided to do some shopping!
On a side note the first day we were there my camera broke! So all the pictures I took were from my cell phone argh! Thankfully I have a good phone that takes amazing pictures but could you believe it!!! I just used that for the rest of the trip instead of going to find a new camera and figure out how to use it.

Sweet Dreams!

1 Comment:

Chris and Mandy said...

Awesome trip report! I can't wait for you to write the rest :)