Monday, November 21, 2011

Macy's, The Russian Tea Room And An Unexpected Night In Time Square...Day Three


Macy's. I have been to several and they are all different. Some of them really suck some are great BUT the flagship store in NYC, AMAZING! Seven stories of heaven. Again, the whole first floor was shoes, accessories, and handbags. Really!? I didn't need to go any further but we did.

Gail and I both bought some clothes and got some good deals on the items. She also got a beautiful watch it's starting to become a tradition when she comes to NYC. We were there for awhile. Now the thing that makes this store especially different than other Macy's is the designer brands it sells along with everything else.

Once we were done we took a cab to The Russian Tea Room for our tea. The Restaurant was empty. At first we were the only ones there and a few others trickled in shortly after. For me the food was OK but it was more the experience and history of the place that I enjoyed the most. I did try caviar for the first time though. There were two different kinds and I honestly don't know what the hype is all about. It was OK but I don't think I would go out of my way to spend my money on it. I guess it's more of a status thing.
Anyways, our High Tea was very good with lots of good conversation as always. Afterwards we walked back to our hotel and relaxed for a little while. We didn't really have any plans for the rest of the night. We were sitting there and I thought I don't want to just stay in for the rest of the night so I thought hey why don't we do a comedy club. Gail agreed since she had never been. We decided upon one that was pretty popular, Caroline's Comedy Club. We relaxed for a little while longer before getting ready.

There were four comedians that night and I thought all were funny except for the last one. After about twenty minutes of him I was done but it was still a good time and we had pretty good seats. I was a little worried at the beginning because it was packed in there and it looked as though we might be sol, but that was not the case. We got some wine and some appetizers, nothing special, but it was a good spur of the moment thing to do.
Once the show was over we headed into Time Square. It was honestly kind of magical. Being there at night and I didn't think it was crowded at all. We saw some people dressed up as robots and I got my picture taken with them. I don't think it turned out. I have several of them. We hung out there for a little while taking it all in and then we decided to go get a drink somewhere.

We came upon this Celtic pub and thought this was the place. Immediately walking in we met a really nice Irish man who we talked to for awhile and then some Asian men who were telling us about their lives. They couldn't believe I was there with my mother in law because that wouldn't happen in their country etc. They thought that was pretty cool. The Irish man bought us some drinks and before we left gave Gail a kiss and he settled for a hug from me.

Our hotel wasn't too far away so we started our journey back. It started to sprinkle and then it opened up and it was a heavy downpour! We had umbrella's but nothing prepared us for this. It was coming down so hard and so fast that it was standing on the streets. I was wearing flats and my feet were soaked. At one point we just started laughing because what could you do?! Eventually us drowned rats made it back to the hotel around two in the morning.

What a fun and unexpected evening! We were looking forward to our tour of the NBC studios the next morning so it was time for some shut eye!

0 Comments: