Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Roller Skating!


When I was growing up going roller skating was a big part of life. There was a skating rink in Kelso and on the weekends that's what a lot of us did as well as having birthday party's there. I myself had several there but maybe it was also because there weren't a whole lot of kid friendly places to go in the Longview/Kelso area. My mom started me skating when I was two and I skated for many many years after. I skated so much that when I was younger I had planned on working at Skate World and being a teacher on my days off! Yes, I strive high in life at an early age! My desire to get back at there and skate has been creeping up on me and I couldn't wait until Alyssa was old enough to take her.

I have been checking into the local skating rinks to find out when their toddler times were and finally found one that I was able to go to. I had already decided that I was going to skate with her. When we got there I felt like I had went back in time about twenty plus years. The rink had wood floors, which were cool, or at least looked like wood and everyone there was old enough to be probably my grandparents.

They were all very nice. The lady asked me how many and I told her two and she said I didn't have to pay if I wanted to go out there with her just if I had skates. In my head I'm thinking "hell yeah I'm skating." I got us all situated with skates and all. Alyssa was very excited and wasn't quiet sure what to expect. I got up and skated over to the lockers put our stuff away and showed her how it was done. Let me say it's almost like riding a bike, in the since you don't forget, but I was a little wobbly. That went away after a few minutes.

We got out on the rink and Alyssa wasn't to sure about it but was having fun. I was even skating backwards with her. So, how is that for a come back! After about twenty minutes of Alyssa almost pulling me down several times I decided I was going to take mine off and go out there with her. I mean after all it was about her, right?! It was a lot easier for me after that but was still a lot of fun. We met a friend and her daughter there and got several laughs with the two kids. At the end, like any
good skating rink, they did the Hokey Pokey.

Both of us had a blast and enjoyed our Mother / Daughter day. I'm looking forward to getting more one on one time with the kids this fall and winter. I'm planning on going back skating a lot more. As for me I plan on getting into it more because not only is it great exercise but I have a goal in mind and that is for next year to try out for roller derby! Yes, that's what I said, roller derby!! Don't be surprised if any of you are along the Centenial Trail and you see me skate by with the babes in tow!

0 Comments: