Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patricks Day

One of the things, and I think I may have mentioned this in my Fat Tuesday post, we want to teach our children is the meaning behind these two holidays. I use the term holiday loosely. Many people don't even know the true meaning of these days and think it's just another night to go out drinking, which I call amateur night. I'm not going to get into the religious aspect of it here but with Cory and I both Irish though neither of us are Catholic I wanted to start our own traditions and teach the kids the true meaning. Don't worry Im aware they are still a little young for that at this point.

The day didn't start out great or as planned. Cory and Knox are both still sick. Cory and I were discussing some things and he suggested that we get out and the two of them could rest. I thought that was a great idea because Knox really needed it and no offense to Cory but I can't stand the "man cold". Like Cory suggested, Alyssa and I got out of the house and went to the Children's Museum for the morning and then the pet store with a stop at Starbucks afterwards. This little girl loves animals! Maybe we have a future vet on our hands?

The one thing I did do was cook our yummy Irish feast. Corned beef and Cabbage. Well I forgot the cabbage but we had the onions and potatoes with it. The house smelled fantastic! There were enough left overs for yummy sandwiches today! I didn't do the green beer because well for one that is more of the "Americanized" tradition and if I were to put the green drops in my beer you wouldn't even notice because I like a darker beer to begin with. The Guinness, though, was perfect!

On another note. If anyone is interested in a good book, I have been reading Water For Elephants and it is amazing. It's going to be coming out in the movies soon so if your like me you will want to read it first because the book usually is way better than the movie!
Another wonderful recipe I tried a few weeks ago that I can't stop talking about it a healthy version of Baked Potato Soup. Your probably thinking what a healthy version?? Yes, it only called for three potatoes and the rest was cauliflower! Of course you did sprinkle cheese and bacon pieces on top. It was delicious! I could have ate the whole pot! The other recipe I tried was curry cauliflower, I wasn't a fan but Cory loved it! The nice thing about these two recipes that I love is they were healthy for us, cheap to make, and we had left overs for lunches for the week!

Lately I have been thinking about my childhood, not sure exactly why. I have decided that this summer I think I'm going to take the kids down to Portland for a few days and let them experience some of the stuff I did growing up. There are so many wonderful places to go down there that I have had fun making a list of them and remembering certain experiences I had.
This will be a fun little vacation since we decided we weren't going to be taking any big ones this summer and staying closer to home with just doing the beach, camping and stuff around here.

0 Comments: