Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Kindergarten....It's Not What It Used To Be

I knew in Marysville the school district registered earlier than the other schools around the area for Kindergarten.  When I received the information in January that it was going to be the first weekend in February my heart skipped a beat! 

Come September I am going to officially have a child enter the exciting yet scary world of elementary school.  Up until now her main influences good and bad have been us, her parents, and family and friends who we have chose to hang out with.  Now she is going to start spending time with children and adults who are going to start influencing her good and bad that I have no control of for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for her and everything to come.  It's just scary too and a whole new part of parenting.  I'm sure I will have many more posts on my thoughts, fears, and reality on this in the coming months and into the next school year so bare with me!

Back to the registration.  Alyssa was so excited to go and Marysville does what they call a Kindergarten and School Registration Expo.  I was actually pretty impressed with it.  The nice thing to was that since I came prepared I didn't have to wait in any long lines.  For us the actual part of registration was less than five minutes.  We went around to some of the booths got information, checked out the bus and saw some cheerleaders.  Guess who was excited about that!? 

What really hit me was when we were at the literacy booth and were handed out  five small books that she will be supposed to be reading next year it kind of freaked me out.  Not the beginning ones but the one by the end of the year where there are a few sentences. 
I probably sound crazy and that's fine.  Don't get me wrong the sentences are simple but really kindergarten?

I feel like kindergarten is the new 1st grade and preschool is the new kindergarten!  Again I'm very excited for her and she is so ready to start this new chapter!  Thankfully I have six and a half months to worry!

Afterwards we went to a good friends birthday party at a pizza place and the kids had a blast.  To top off that weekend we ended with another birthday party at a jump place.  The same place Alyssa will be having her party this weekend.  It was a great exhausting weekend.

0 Comments: