Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Inspiring Impressionism

I took Alyssa to the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) this last week. We went with her grandmother and her great grandmother. I wasn't too worried about her because she is very good in public and it was time for her nap, which she hadn't had all day. I was planning on her falling asleep in the car and sleeping for awhile. I was very excited because I had never been there and Fine Art was my minor in college and I absolutely love doing stuff like this. So we were on our way. I really don't think the two grandmas knew how excited I was, because I don't show my emotions all that much. My family has even joked that I have ice water running thru my veins. Nice huh! Anyhow Alyssa had fallen asleep in the car and was asleep for probably the first ten minutes or so and that's probably being generous.

The exhibit there right now is Inspiring Impressionism.


Impressionist painting include visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on light in its changing qualities (often accentuating the effects of the passage of time), ordinary subject matter, the inclusion of movement as a crucial element of human perception and experience, and unusual visual angles.


Since being out of college for eight years, yikes, I have lost touch or have forgotten a lot about art and such. Before we went I went back and I guess researched it. It's like falling off a bike, it all came rushing back to me. I realized that Monet, one of my favorite artists, would be on exhibit. I was thrilled to death on this. So we got up to the exhibit and everything was going great. I was listening to the info they have and looking at the pieces and I look down to see Alyssa is wide awake and staring at me smiling. OK so know I can feel my blood pressure somewhat start to climb. I continue to walk around and whisper quietly it's OK. I don't know exactly at what because she wasn't making a peep. I think it calmed me down a bit tho because it was so quite in there you could here a pin drop. Anyways we are making our way around and Alyssa decided she was bored and wanted to talk and be held. So I took her out of the stroller and started walking with her. She spit up a little. Which normally is no big deal, right? Well than I started having all these images of her getting this projectile spit up and going all over the paintings. What would I do?! What would "they" do!? So anyhow I found some couches for us to sit on and was waiting for her to calm down. I think she enjoyed making noises in there because it echoed. Not to make matters any worse for me! After awhile it become somewhat comical. After a few minutes we decided to take her down stairs and get something to drink. Great Grammy finished her rounds and would meet up with us.
Now I normally don't worry about taking her places because she is always so good. Not that she was bad but in those circumstances I guess I was just uncomfortable. Especially from some of the looks some of the up tight people were giving me. I guess I just don't take places like that as serious about taking a child to as a movie theatre or a fine restaurant. Needless to say we had a good time and I can't wait to do this again and share this with Alyssa in the future. Hopefully she has a interest in art as much as I do.
For those out there I would definitely recommend going to see this exhibit. It's well worth the time and money!

0 Comments: